This drizzle cake is very sweet, moist and delicious. It’s a simple cake recipe modified by using a single foraged ingredient. You could try foraged ground hazelnuts instead of almonds, rose hip syrup instead of lemons, and so on…
For the cake
- 115 g unsalted butter, softened
- 115 g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 180 g ground almonds
- 30 g foraged poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zest and juice of
- 125 g self-raising flour, sifted
For the lemon syrup
- 100 g caster sugar
- 90 g lemon juice
For the lemon icing
- 225 g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4. Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter with the caster sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one by one, beating each in well. Fold in your ground almonds, poppy seeds, the lemon zest and juice and the sifted flour.
- Spoon the mix into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow the cake to cool on a rack.
- Make your lemon syrup by heating the sugar and lemon juice in a pan until the sugar has dissolved. While your cake is still warm, make lots of little holes in the top with a cocktail stick and pour your syrup over.
- To make your icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon zest and juice, stirring until smooth.
- When your cake is almost cool, pour the icing carefully over the top.